News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N Scale Bachmann Thomas

Started by Cheeky_ULP, July 18, 2018, 03:10:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJW98Productions

In the past, I have been overwhelmingly positive about the idea of an N gauge Bachmann Thomas & Friends line, but recently a friend pointed out something to me that I can't help but think in my head. Was starting with Thomas and Percy the right call?

I know that sounds like a dumb question, but the Tomix range is very well established among the T&F modelling community as the N Gauge Thomas & Friends line. So was it a good choice to announce their own, when they may just be creating equivalent to characters that already exist? And unlike other companies, which previously have based their Thomas models on the engines' real life basis (for the most part) Tomix also bases their models on the TV series models. So they may be placing themselves into a position where their producing models that could potentially come off as "redundant" to people who already own their equivalents. And I'm not trying to criticise or comment too heavily on the practices and models by other manufacturers. I'm just expressing my concerns about these announcements.

Finally, this is more of an open question, do you guys think Bachmann will make their T&F models in a scale that more closely resembles standard British N Gauge (1:148), or a scale more similar to what Tomix employs for their Thomas models (I'm given to understand their models are larger than standard British N Gauge)?

Again, I'm not trying to stir up controversy or comment too heavily on other ranges, and I'm certainly not criticising them, I'm mainly using Tomix as a frame of reference here, as I'm not sure of the exact scales or how else to bring up discussion about these topics. Have a great day everyone.

~Alex

BassTbone

As someone who has owned the older and newer lines of Tomix, I can say that Bachmann getting the mans to make N is more exciting. 

Tomix never released past four engines, with the newer releases only being the first three.  I know from experience that the tooling for the newer ones was terrible.  I went through two James locos because they stripped gears with little use.  Tomix was also over-scaled. 

Cheeky_ULP

A thing people need to remember is for over 10 years (and still, despite the re-release) Tomix is not easily available to the Western market. While younger people like us are savvy enough to use websites like eBay or Amazon to find them, your average joe N scale modeller who has grandchildren would likely not get an N scale Thomas unless it was available at their local hobby store. Bachmann sees a potential market here with how many N scalers there are in the USA to get them a more-accessible Thomas and Percy.

douglas

Quote from: BassTbone on February 16, 2019, 07:49:14 AMTomix never released past four engines, with the newer releases only being the first three.  I know from experience that the tooling for the newer ones was terrible.  I went through two James locos because they stripped gears with little use.  Tomix was also over-scaled. 

Had the same happen to me as well. I'll never claim to be an expert on model-train anatomy, but my first James model, straight out the new box mind you, ran a few times around my squeaky-clean Tomix-sectional oval before inexplicably clamming up. Tried a few times to reset the power, did yet another track cleaning (it can never be too clean!), nothing. Ended up selling it for about half of what I originally got it for on eBay.
The thing I really didn't like about the Tomix line was the ENORMOUS power packā€“in planning my layout I'm trying to fit the power pack into a corner of an approx. 3x6-ft. board and cover it with scenery, which is all but impossible with theirs... and if I'm not mistaken one can't use other brands of controllers with Tomix sectional track. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

TerencetheTractor525

Considering that the new N Scale Thomas line is targeted to older fans, imagine if Bachmann really surprised us with basing the models off the model series, specifically Thomas and Percy's faces:

This would make things much more interesting, since the faces of the HO models are based off promotional art and the faces of the large scale models are based off the CGI era.

If Bachmann took this approach, I may even consider collecting the line.
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

Griffin (TheBlueSnowplow)

Let me make one thing clear- if Bachmann's N scale models are classic-series themed, they will have me hook, line, and sinker. But I highly doubt this will be the case.
Check out my Youtube channel below. 
www.youtube.com/thebluesnowplow

Kemptown Branch

I would actually be all for them having those faces as well. That would give each range it's own unique difference from each other as well. If they eventually make a brakevan that actually has the TV series livery, that would be another nice difference, as well as give the Spiteful Brake Van a unique livery in this line as well.
Bachmann trains are awesome. I hope they come out with Stepney one day.

Chaz

As nice of an idea as that would be, I think it's almost obvious, if not inevitable, that they will go with the CGI designs for the characters in the new n scale range.

Doesn't mean that we can't replace the faces on the models with 3D printed faces or anything. ;)
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

TerencetheTractor525

Quote from: Chaz on February 18, 2019, 08:33:34 PM
As nice of an idea as that would be, I think it's almost obvious, if not inevitable, that they will go with the CGI designs for the characters in the new n scale range.

Doesn't mean that we can't replace the faces on the models with 3D printed faces or anything. ;)

That's fair. I just think that basing the N scale models off the model series instead of the CGI era would make the models extra special, interesting, and really wow us older fans. I don't think that any of us could disagree with that :).
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

Kemptown Branch

I contacted Bachmann about what the N scale range will be scaled like.
This is my email copy and pasted (except my real name, obviously):
To Whom It May Concern,
What scale will the new N Scale Thomas & Friends range be made in? Will they be made in 1:160, like the other U.S. N scale products, or will they be scaled to 1:148, such as those made by Graham Farish by Bachmann? Thank you.
Sincerely,

This is what they sent back (My name is omitted again):
Dear ___________,

Thank you for your interest in Bachmann Trains products. They will be made in 1:160.

Best regards,

The Sales Team

Bachmann Industries, Inc.

Cheeky_ULP, I am sorry for arguing with you so much about the scaling, and it seems that we are both wrong.

If anyone wants to, they can send a more specific email asking about the Tomix size, which is approximately 1:120 scale, otherwise known as TT scale, with N scale wheels on the wagons. I doubt they would answer differently though.

Cheeky_ULP

I honestly wasn't meaning to imply I knew they were going to make any specific scale, but just had my hopes up.

The real question is if the person you emailed knew the specifics of the question; like if we asked them about the Thomas range, would they call it HO scale because that's what it's marketed for in the US, or know that it's technically OO scale? It's hard to say and why I'm just holding my tongue until we see the range. It feels almost like they're saying 1:160 because that's what they make in the rest of the N-scale range, and the US overall.

Either way, I curiously anticipate what they do choose, be the email correct or incorrect.

TrainFan97

It will take at least several years for Bachmann to make all the main characters in N Scale. Hopefully, when they get to Toby, they'd make Mavis to go with him, using the same chassis, with Mavis being slightly longer. Gordon and Henry would use the exact same chassis as each other, with Gordon having added trailing wheels, just like their HO counterparts.

I've pretty much given up hope for Bachmann to make Daisy in HO Scale. It may never happen, unless their budget issues get sorted out. Daisy can be possible in N Scale, but it still might take years to get to her. Not having a fixed wheelbase could be problematic for Daisy to have an eye mechanism in HO Scale, but since N Scale is too small for that, she might get made in N Scale, if Bachmann ever does make her. BoCo is a long shot, simply because his last appearance was in Season 5, which is older than most fans of the show today. Kids of this generation wouldn't even know who BoCo is.

As for N Scale Diesel, Bachmann will certainly give him the "grumpy" face on the first try. Since he's the main villain of the show, he might get made sooner rather than later. Diesel was cancelled in Large Scale, but he would be much more successful in N Scale. Unlike his HO counterpart, Diesel might get black siderods in N Scale. After we get Thomas and Percy, James is inevitable for 2020, so we can have the three most iconic characters of the show.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

Kemptown Branch

Quote from: TrainFan97 on February 19, 2019, 09:08:59 PM
It will take at least several years for Bachmann to make all the main characters in N Scale.

At this point, the only thing I'm worried about is that Mattel is going to throw a curveball and cancel the series. Please note that there are no rumors of this that I have heard. I feel like that would be the worst thing they could do right now. The current show seems to be popular enough to keep everything around for at least a few more years, even though I personally don't like it. I just hope everything lasts long enough for Bachmann to do a decent amount of characters in N scale. One question I do have, though: If the show did end suddenly, would Bachmann have to quit selling their Thomas lines or would they be able to keep the rights and still make new products?

Falcon the 2nd

Quote from: Streak on February 20, 2019, 01:45:15 AM
On the topic of characters in N Scale, I concur with TrainFan97 that it will take a while to make all the main characters in N Scale, but hopefully Bachmann will play their cards right and if they see an opportunity to reuse pieces like chassis and molds to get characters released quicker, they'll take it. Release Henry alongside Gordon. Release Mavis alongside Toby. Release Paxton alongside Diesel. Get more characters that the consumers want. Maybe I'm being too ambitious (I'm writing this post right before going to be rn) but I think that's what Bachmann can do to get this N Scale train rolling.

Releasing two engines that are capable of sharing a single chassis together is an ideal way to approach character creation. Gordon and Henry's HO models were both released in the same year, so I can see it likely happening again in the N Scale lineup. And if Mavis isn't the perfect partner to release alongside Toby, I pretty much don't know who is.
Wishlists:
HO Scale - Stepney, Tar Tanker
N Scale - Henry, Mavis, Milk Tanker, Brake Van

Streak

Quote from: Falcon the 2nd on February 20, 2019, 11:35:01 AM
Releasing two engines that are capable of sharing a single chassis together is an ideal way to approach character creation. Gordon and Henry's HO models were both released in the same year, so I can see it likely happening again in the N Scale lineup. And if Mavis isn't the perfect partner to release alongside Toby, I pretty much don't know who is.

Exactly. Gordon and Henry being released together is a very strong possibility considering they share the same chassis. So is Toby and Mavis. The main argument going for Mavis in Large Scale is that she can reuse Toby's chassis/cowcatcher mold and that would apply to N Scale as well once Toby is eventually made. I have a strong feeling as well that if/when Diesel is released in N Scale, that it's a good move to release Paxton alongside him. They share almost all of the same molds and an N Scale Paxton would probably have a much better face than the HO one considering they won't have to worry about moving eyes.

Of course, if sets of twins are announced for the line (like Bill and Ben, Donald and Douglas, Arry and Bert), they'd both be released side by side obviously. But I also want to say that next year in 2020, there might be a slight possibility we could get a second engine announced alongside James (because let's be honest, the next N Scale engine's gonna be James). If that does happen, I'm calling Edward since both he and James go well together and are around the same size. Since the first three years of HO Scale had at least two new engines being released each, something similar to that could happen with N Scale. Who knows, if N Scale turns out to be easier for Bachmann to produce we could see two N Scale engines every year but I highly doubt that. Either way, the possibilities of this new line have me excited and I'm interested to see where Bachmann takes it.